As the popularity of cannabidiol (CBD) continues to soar, no shortage of product types make their way into our everyday lives, from CBD oils to out-of-the-box skincare. There’s a perfect CBD product waiting to elevate your wellness journey — you just need to know where and what to look for at the dispensary to ensure quality. Join us as we delve into CBD products, their benefits and their unique qualities.
CBD Demystified: Breaking Down the Basics
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is the second-most known compound in cannabis. Unlike its more famous THC, CBD does not produce a “high” effect. Instead, it influences your state of well-being without the intoxication that THC causes. Numerous studies have explored CBD’s potential benefits, and the findings are promising.
How Does CBD Work In Your Body?
CBD works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). This complex network of receptors, enzymes and endocannabinoids is found in all human and animal species. The ECS plays a crucial role in maintaining bodily function and internal balance.
When you consume CBD, it indirectly influences your ECS and affects how other cannabinoids and chemicals interact with cannabinoid receptors. CBD is also known to deter THC (and other endocannabinoids made by your body, like anandamide and 2-AG) from binding to or otherwise interacting with these receptors – explaining why most people feel less high when taking CBD or trying THC-containing cannabis products with elevated levels of CBD.
Benefits of CBD
Derived from cannabis plants, CBD may offer many benefits without the intoxicating effects associated with THC. Some potential benefits include:
- Symptoms and side effects of chronic pain: CBD may help alleviate chronic pain. Studies have shown this compound’s ability to influence how we perceive pain and reduce pain associated with inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
- Anxiety and stress reduction: CBD has been observed to have anxiolytic effects. This can help those with anxiety achieve a sense of calm and relaxation without the intoxicating effects of THC.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: CBD has the potential to ease anti-inflammatory conditions by interacting with receptors in the ECS. CBD may reduce swelling, redness and discomfort. This has been observed both topically with skincare and through ingesting CBD.
- Sleep improvement: CBD has demonstrated promising effects on sleep quality and duration. CBD may positively impact sleep-wake cycles, leading to better sleep patterns and more restful nights.
- Potential neuroprotective properties: Emerging scientific evidence suggests CBD may have neuroprotective properties. While more research is needed to fully understand these properties’ extent, early findings have piqued curiosity.
The Difference Between Hemp CBD And CBD From Cannabis
CBD can be derived from two primary sources: the industrial hemp plant and high-THC, state-regulated cannabis plants. The CBD derived from these two plants is chemically identical, and the distinction between the two is purely legal.
Hemp-derived CBD products may be sold across state borders and within any retail setting that wishes to carry it. Those products are not required to be tested. CBD derived from state-regulated, high-THC cannabis may only be sold in a dispensary and is subject to the same rigorous testing standards that cannabis products must follow.
You may also see CBD sold with USDA-certified organic distinction. You won’t find this distinction within a cannabis dispensary. That’s because state-legal, federally-illegal cannabis cannot be certified organic. If you see an organic full-spectrum CBD oil or other CBD product, it’s derived from industrial hemp, not high-THC cannabis. A high-THC cannabis product may be made with organic ingredients such as organic MCT oil, but the CBD extract itself from high-THC cannabis is not USDA-certified organic.
The Difference Between Full Spectrum CBD, Broad Spectrum CBD and CBD Isolate
Understanding the differences between full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolate is essential to ensuring your desired experience. The differences between each CBD type are:
- Full-spectrum CBD products contain all the naturally occurring cannabinoids and terpenes found in cannabis plants, including trace amounts of THC when derived from industrial hemp.
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil offers similar benefits to full spectrum but without THC.
- CBD isolate contains only pure CBD without other compounds. CBD isolate is up to 99% pure CBD.
Notably, the distinction between full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD and isolate is much more common in industrial hemp-derived CBD than in the dispensary. For example, if you don’t want to consume THC at all, the broad spectrum may be your best bet, but it’s less likely that a dispensary will carry that item. Similarly, CBD isolate may be used as an ingredient in other CBD products that contain THC and other cannabinoids, but a product containing just CBD isolate is not as popular or as common in a dispensary.
The Essentials: CBD Oils & Tinctures
CBD tinctures, also called CBD oil, offer a convenient and discreet way to incorporate this cannabinoid into your daily routine while allowing for precise measurements and dosing. Whether for stress relief, pain management, improved sleep or overall well-being, CBD oils and tinctures are excellent options to harness the potential benefits of CBD.
How is CBD oil made?
Making CBD oil involves extracting CBD from cannabis and incorporating the extract into a carrier oil to create a consumable product. There are several methods of CBD extraction, but the most common ones include:
- CO2 extraction: This method utilizes pressurized carbon dioxide (CO2) to extract CBD from the plant material. CO2 acts as a solvent under specific conditions, pulling out the cannabinoids and other beneficial compounds from the hemp or cannabis plant.
- Ethanol extraction: Ethanol is used as a solvent to extract CBD from the plant material. The plant is soaked in ethanol to dissolve cannabinoids, and then the alcohol is evaporated to leave behind CBD-rich extract.
- Hydrocarbon extraction: This method uses hydrocarbons such as butane or propane to extract CBD. The process involves passing the solvent through plant biomass to separate out CBD and other compounds. This extract is then purified to remove any remaining solvents.
Once CBD oil is extracted through one of these methods, it’s combined with a carrier oil such as MCT oil, olive oil or avocado oil.
How Do You Use CBD Tinctures?
Consuming CBD oil tinctures is straightforward and convenient. Using the dropper, measure the desired dose of CBD oil. You’ll find the total amount of CBD in the bottle on the product label, and the dropper often has marks so you can properly measure how much you’re taking. Place the CBD oil under your tongue and hold it there for at least 30 seconds — some people may hold it for 60 to 90 seconds — before swallowing.
This sublingual method allows for faster absorption of CBD into your bloodstream. The remainder that you swallow makes its way through your digestive system. If you don’t want to hold CBD oil in your mouth, you can mix it with food or beverages.
A few fan favorites include:
Remember that everyone’s responses to CBD may vary when trying any new products. Always start with a low dosage and gradually increase until you find the amount that works for you.
Getting Gourmet with CBD: Edibles, Drinks & More
Whether you’ve got a sweet tooth or are simply seeking a discreet and enjoyable way to incorporate CBD into your daily routine, your choices for infused wonders are vast and getting more creative each day. Some of the most popular CBD edibles include:
- CBD gummies: CBD gummies are a fun and convenient way to consume CBD discreetly and on the go. They come in various fruity, savory and even flavors to fit the preferences of every consumer. The container tells you how much CBD per serving you can expect.
- CBD beverages: From sparkling waters to herbal teas and cold brew coffees, CBD-infused beverages are another excellent option for discreet consumption, getting your CBD on the go or making intriguing mocktails. They are perfect for relaxation and mindfulness moments throughout the day.
- CBD chocolate: Elevate your chocolate indulgence with CBD-infused chocolate bars or truffles. CBD chocolates may be the perfect treat to savor if you have a sweet tooth or simply desire a moment of peace.
- CBD capsules: While you don’t drink or chew and swallow capsules, these pre-measured doses work very much like edibles. Flavorless, simple and familiar, capsules can easily be incorporated into your routine.
Our favorites include:
- Kiva Confections Camino Sours 10:10 CBD Orchard Peach “Balance” Gummies
- Kanha Vegan Nano 20:1 CBD Gummies
- Wyld Peach 2:1 CBD + Hybrid Enhanced Gummies
Topical Treats: CBD Creams, Lotions, & Balms
From skin woes to muscle aches, explore the role of topical CBD products and how they may add an extra layer of self-care to your daily routine. Unlike other CBD products you inhale or ingest, topicals are localized, meaning you feel their effects wherever they’re applied.
- CBD topical creams: CBD-infused creams are ideal for targeting specific areas of discomfort, such as muscle aches, joint pain or inflammation.
- CBD balms and salves: These thick, moisturizing formulations are perfect for addressing everyday skin irritations. They come in a variety of CBD:THC ratios and sizes. Cold weather coming on? A balm can be the perfect ingredient to help boost your skin barrier and hydrate against those dry skin woes.
- CBD roll-ons: These convenient and mess-free solutions are loved by customers for muscle tension and headaches. Their straightforward use allows for quick and precise on-the-go application and provides immediate relief for localized discomfort.
- CBD massage oils: CBD can be infused into massage oils to elevate relaxation and unwind sore muscles.
A few of our favorite picks include:
- Papa & Barkley’s Releaf Balm 3:1 CBD
- Care by Design’s 1:1 CBD Pain Cream
- Dr. Mary’s 1:20 – CBD:THC Relax Balm
Inhale the Goodness: CBD Vapes & Flower
CBD flower can be consumed through various methods, such as smoking or vaping. Both options offer distinct benefits, making them excellent choices for consumers with various preferences. Both CBD flower and vapes have gained popularity among users seeking natural alternatives for relaxation and potential health benefits.
What Is CBD Flower?
CBD flower refers to dried buds of the cannabis plant that contain elevated CBD, particularly when measured against THC. You can find high-CBD cannabis flower and CBD flower sourced from industrial hemp. But when shopping at Hello Cannabis, the CBD flower you’ll find is all sourced from state-legal cannabis.
Some quality CBD flower strains include:
- Pure Beauty CBD Babies 10pk
- West Coast Cure Around The World Variety Preroll Pack
- Connected Cannabis CBD Flower
CBD Vape Options
CBD vapes skip the rolling and the grinding so you can enjoy CBD without any prep work. When you inhale from a CBD vape, this compound quickly enters your bloodstream through your lungs, providing fast-acting relief. CBD vapes come in multiple options, such as disposable vape pens and cartridges. You’ll often find these formulations in a ratio with other cannabinoids like THC.
Some of the popular CBD vape options on the market include:
4 Tips for Choosing Quality CBD Products
Shopping for CBD products in a dispensary helps ensure you purchase quality products. These products go through state-mandated testing and our own standard checks to ensure you’re only getting the best. As you’re evaluating the options, look out for these factors:
- Look for third-party testing: Reputable CBD products will always provide third-party testing results, also known as a Certificate of Analysis or CoA. These lab reports are essential for brand reputation and help guarantee the CBD product’s safety, quality and transparency. They give information on the product’s CBD content, THC levels and the presence of any contaminants to ensure consumer safety. This is the bare minimum for testing, and you may find other products that also screen for terpenes, heavy metals and other contaminants.
- Read product labels carefully: Pay attention to product labels and packaging. Trustworthy CBD brands and oil companies provide transparent information about potency (how much CBD), recommended dosage, ingredients and other essential details. Avoid products with vague or misleading labels, as they may lack transparency and accurate information.
- Be wary of health claims: Be careful of any CBD brand that makes exaggerated health claims about the product. If a product promises to change your life or cure you of an illness, it’s a good sign to stay away.
- Read reviews and testimonials: Look for customer reviews and testimonials to gain insight into others’ experiences with the product. Authentic feedback can help you gauge the product’s quality and effectiveness. You can also speak to budtenders or your healthcare professional to determine the best products.
Crafting Your CBD Wellness Journey With Hello Cannabis
Embracing CBD can be a fantastic first step towards enhancing your self-care regime and overall well-being. Remember that the “best” CBD oil out there always aligns with your lifestyle, needs and wellness goals. With a commitment to quality, transparency and customer satisfaction, Hello Cannabis offers a wide selection of premium CBD products to cater to your unique preferences and needs. Embrace the power of CBD and embrace a healthier, happier you with Hello Cannabis by your side.